Release Information for the Component Integrated ACE ORB (CIAO)
This document contains information on the following topics related to the
release of CIAO:
- The first cut of the new DnC
specification implementation, which we call DAnCE is available in
this distribution. DAnCE is housed under
. We plan to enhance DAnCE in the next few months. We believe
DAnCE will replace existing tool sets in
$CIAO_ROOT/tools. There are a few features in
$CIAO_ROOT/tools that are missing in the DAnCE
implementation. Please see TODO file
for more details. We plan to implement them soon and use DAnCE
- The first cut of DAnCE includes two parts:
A modeling tool chain ,
CoSMIC, which is capable of describing the Assembly/Component
GME as the development bed. The artifacts generated from the
CoSMIC are a set of XML descriptors.
- This run-time infrastructure that performs the actual deployment
and configuration, with a superset of the capabilities described in
OMG DnC specification with CIAO extension.
In the new DnC run-time framework we have migrated all the
functionalities present in the old CIAO runtime except the
Real-Time configuration and Static Configuration, which are
developed by Washington University in St. Louis. Currently,
the two CIAO runtime co-exist in our source and the component
implementation could be used with both framework without much
change. (For the change that one has to go through please
ciao_preactivate () and
ciao_postactivate () have been added to the
SessionComponent interface. This implies that component
developers have to implement those operations within the
executor. We plan to get around this, i.e., users having to
implement these two operations, in the next month or so.
Here is a set of updates in the CIDL Compiler.
- Fixed bugs in generation of inherited: home operations,
attribute operations, port operations, home factory operations,
- Added support for multiplex uses ports. This implies that users
could use "uses multiple" in their component definitions.
- Added automatic registration of value factories for event
consumers. This has been long outstanding. This change alleviates
component developers need to register the valuetype factory of their
eventtypes with the ORB.
- Added support for emits keyword and we now generate navigation
code for this.
- Fixed bug with multiple facets in a build that provide the same
- Implemented get_all_facets() and get_all_consumers() navigation
CIAO doesn't yet support features that help integrating CORBA
components with Enterprise Java Beans (EJB).